Woods Family

[1931-Popular songs: "Minnie the Moocher", "Mood Indigo", "Goodnight Sweetheart" and "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain".]

Richard & Evelene (Estey) Woods
1. Richard Alexander Woods was born 7 January 1903 in Augusta, Montana, died 21 May 1938 of Influenza and Lombar Pneumonia, in Bend, Oregon. Richard, Evelene, and George Murphy, Jr. had planted glads on the weekend. Richard had caught a little cold. But in those days, if you had a job, you absolutely had to go to work. Each day he was a little worse, and by weeks end he had died after two days in the hospital. Richard (Dick) married in Bend, Oregon on 26 December 1931 to Evelene Estey. Probably Evelene & Richard met at the Pine Forest Grange Hall on the southern outskirts of Bend. Evelene was living with her aunt and uncle, Lucy & George Murphy. Richard and his mother had just moved to Carroll Acres, the area just on the city limits, south of Bend. Evelene and Richard were married in the home of his sister Rachel and her husband Arthur Pattie. Audrey, Richard's other sister, was planning to be married on 24 December 1931. Audrey and Rachel had big plans to decorate the house and prepare a lot of food. So it was convienent for Evelene and Richard to plan to use the same decorations for a wedding the day after Christmas, on the 26th. Rachel said that Evelene cried all day on the day of her wedding, even during the ceremony, as George & Lucy refused to attend the wedding. They thought that at age 26, Evelene was too young to be married. Lucy was 35 when she married and often said that if she had it to do over again, she would have waited a lot longer.



Woods Family

[1901-U.S. President William McKinley assassinated, succeeded by Theodore Roosevelt]

2. John Clement Woods
John Clement Woods
born 29 April 1866 in Glasgow, Howard County, Missouri, died 3 March 1930 in Bend, Oregon, buried in Bend, Oregon, married 23 January 1900 in Independence, Jackson County, Missouri. (here's another site with information on John Clement.) John was a clerk in a lumber office when he first became sick. The doctor said for him to get a job working outside. So he took the mail route. One time when two of his children, Dick and Rachel, went in the sleigh to help deliver the mail, there was a blizzard. The wind and snow were just awful. Part of the route was on country roads and part was on paved roads. John took mail orders for customers along the route. A man wanted "4 blue shirts". The "r" and "blue" were left off the form.

What an order! He did other favors for people so they gave him meat. John was a mail carrier long before they had a car. Audrey was about 13 when they bought their first car. After they got the car, it was used in good weather. But they still went by horse and sleigh in the winter.

Rachel remembered sitting in the back seat while on the mail route with her father. His thumb would shake as he had Parkinson's Disease. The Postmaster was a friend, so the family thought he would continue to let their father work with the families help. He only had about a year and a half until retirement and could then get his pension. But instead the Postmaster contacted the government and told them that J.C. Woods was too ill to continue working.

Romanie Jinnette Wright
3. Romainie Jinnette Wright born 24 September 1874 in Vermillion County, Illinois, died 15 May 1965 of acute Pneumonitis due to heart failure, buried in Bend, Deschutes County, Oregon. (Here's another site with information on Romanie.)

Romanie's brother, Albert Wright, told her that she could come work for him as a housekeeper and the family could live with him. So they sold most of their belongings, in Eligin, Oregon and moved to Bend, Oregon. When they arrived at Albert's house, they found that he had hired another woman. So they only stayed one night there.

The following was written by Romanie Jinnette Wright.

"Adam and Richard were born at the old Woods homestead - 8 miles west of Augusta - in the Sunriver Vallie, of Montana.

And Grandpa Woods thought as Adam was the first male child by the name of Woods, he felt it his perfect right and privilege to name him. So as to keep the name going down through the ages. However, to my horror and humiliation, to avoid a family row, I gave in. The cane upstairs is his reward and he cares not a thing about it. (Adam was to receive the Silver Handled Cane & Richard the family Gold Watch)

Richard then was named for Grandma's father or brother, I can't remember which. I always liked the name of Richard. And he in turn fell heir to the Old English Watch. And Evelene is keeping it for Johnny.

You, Audrey Dale, were born in Augusta, Montana in a log cabin. You were a very good baby. Not a light at night, not even a match did we light for one whole year. It doesn't seem possible, however, it's true.

Your Aunt Chlo named you, but you should have been named Jenny and would have inherited the heirloom silver of the Woods Family. Tho I don't think you have missed anything.

Rachel was born in Elgin, Oregon. The only thing she inherited was the red hair from the Woods side. And the only one of the four I had the privilege of naming. I named her for a very sweet Indian girl. She was one-eights Indian and the rest white. Her name was Rachel Snow, a well educated girl just my age." sic



Woods Family

[In 1851 Isaac Singer devises the continuous stitch sewing machine]

From a book, "Progressive Men of Montana", beginning on page 1600.

"John C. Woods is one of the venerable and honored residents of Lewis and Clarke County, where he has resided for nearly a score of years, devoting his attention to farming and stockgrowing, but having retired from the more active pursuits of life, he has given the managements of his ranch properties to his sons, capable young business men.

Mr. Woods was born in Howard Co., Missouri on September 4, 1818, the son of Adam C. and Elizabeth Woods, natives of Kentucky. The father went to Missouri in 1816, and being favorably impressed, took up his permanent abode there two years later and engaged in farming and stockraising, continuing therein until the time of his death, which occured on August 7, 1849. In politics he was an old time whig, fraternally was a master-mason, and in religion both he and his wife were members of the Christian church, living useful and exemplary lives, in harmonony with the faith which they professed. The death of our subjects mother occured May 26, 1856.

John C. Woods grew up under the invigorating life of the farm and his schooling was such as was afforded in the very primitive institution of learning of the period. He attended the schools during the winter months, while in the summer his time was demanded in the work of the farm.

At the age of twenty years he assumed charge of the homestead farm, his father being in impaired health and in the meanwhile he purchased 160 acres, devoting his attention to the operation of the same until 1852, when he disposed of the property and purchased 320 acres, paying therefor $4800. He successfully engaged in farming and stockgrowing until 1865, when he rented the place on shares and went into the mercantile business in which his success was only nominal. He disposed of this in 1869, resumed farming and continued to be identified with that industry in Missouri until 1883, and then came to Montana.

He rented a ranch of 160 acres, located eight miles north of the village of Augusta, Lewis and Clarke county, which has since been his home and field of industry. Securing good crops the first two seasons, he met with poor returns the third owing to the drought of that year, In 1884 he took up claims in the same locality and has since added to the area of his estate until he now has 800 acres of which 200 are available for cultivation. He raised good crops for six years, when the scarity of water renderd it inexpedient to continue the raising of grain and the ranch has since been given over to the growing of cattle, the average maintaned being about 200 head while excellent crops of hay have been secured each year.

In politics Mr. Wood gives allegiance to the Democratic party; fraternally he is a Royal Arch Mason. All of his sons support the Democratic party.

On February 23, 1848 Mr. Woods was married to Miss Anna E. Haston, who was born in Missouri, the daughter of Jesse Haston, who emigrated from Kentuckey to Missouri in early years, where he was engaged in farming until the outbreak of the Civil war period, in which he met his death in the spring of 1864, by a bullet fired by a member of the Federal state militia while Mr. Haston was returning from a visit to the Union headquarters. Of this union one child was born, Anna E. Mrs. Woods died on December 15, 1849 and on January 23, 1851 Mr. Woods conumated a second marriage, being then united to Miss Emilie J. Dicken, who was born in Missouri, the daughter of Richard and Jane Dicken, natives of Kentucky, whence they moved to Missouri in 1825, her father there engaging in agricultural pursuits until his death which occured there in 1869. His widow survived him until 1879. She was a zealous member of the Christian church to which Mr. and Mrs. Woods also belong.

Of the six children of our subject and his estimable wife five are living, the one deceased being Jennie, who became the wife of R. H. Wellman and whose death occured February 18, 1900. The other children are Arthur, Lizzie, Emma, John C. Jr. and William P. Woods. Mr. Woods has one of the finest ranches in this section of Montana and here he and his faithful wife are passing the twilight of life surrounded by all the comforts afforded by the results of industrious and useful lives." sic

4. John Creighler Woods born 4 September 1818 in Glasgow, Howard County, Missouri, died 13 October 1902 in Augusta, Lewis & Clark County, Montana, married first on 23 February 1848 to Ann Eliza Hasten born 15 December 1829, who died 15 December 1949.


A NOTICE BY THE WESTERN BANK OF MISSOURI AT ST. JOSEPH, 26 MARCH 1859 states that on Monday 25 April 1859 - the branch in Glasgow will open and gives a list of Commissioners, named is John C. Woods.

John married second on 23 January 1851. Audrey said that, "The Damed Yankees" ravaged the tobacco plantation in Missouri, but somehow the family saved the cattle. John & Emily got all the children and the cattle to Montana, probably by wagon train. They leased land near Augusta, Montana. There are three cattle branding irons registered in the Woods name in the state of Montana according to the Brand Recorder.

Letter from "Department of Livestock, state of Montana"

This letter gives the brands for the Woods Family while in Montana. A brand given to J. C. Woods of August, Montana was recorded 17 October 1884 which was the (7) on the left sho--cattle and left sho--horses.

Also Arthur Woods & Bros. had a brand recorded 23 April 1889 which was a (7) and (A) attached to each other -left sho--cattle and left sho--horses.

An Arthur Woods & Bros. of August, Montana acquired a new brand on 13 July 1909 which was a (5) (heart) attached to each other - right rib--cattle and right sho--horses.

John Creighlor Woods Emily Jane Dickens
5. Emily Jane Dicken born 3 January 1832 in Glasgow, Missouri, died 2 September 1919 of Neitrel inaufficiency at Starbuck, Washington. According to her obituary in the AUGUSTA NEWS, she had died very unexpectedly. She and her husband had been among the earliest of settlers to the Augusta, Montana area. She had sold the "Willow Creek Ranch" in 1910 and moved to Starbuck, Washington where both a son and a daughter resided. When Emily Jane died a telegram was sent to son, John Clement Woods. He and his daughter, Rachel went by train for the funeral. However, by the time they arrived the funeral was over. To say the least, they were dissappointed!


Arthur was an uncle to Adam, Richard, Audrey & Rachel. He would take the children's magazine, sit on it while they were eating a meal, then he took it to his room and read it before the children could have it back to read. He later moved to Starbuck, Washington to live with Emma, his sister, and her husband, Bill Goodyear.
In 1932 Arthur wrote the following:

"Letter from Arthur Woods
Starbuck, Washington
June 20, 1932

To the Glasgow Missourian:

You will be surprised to hear from me at this time. I am the son of J. C. Woods. Last winter or early Spring I got to thinking of my boyhood days about the Civil War. The first circumstance that occurred was four boats loaded with Union soldiers going to some point above. They landed below Buffport above the old Ben Cropp place. Two of the boats landed and sent out pickets the other two came up and sent out pickets in the opposite direction and it seems the pickets came together back next to the bluff and got into a fight which called out the troops. They had quite a battle before they found their mistake. Several were killed.

We were at the farm at Cross Roads. We were all standing out in the yard, west of the house listening to the battle.

Father went to town next morning to see what he could find out.

In the afternoon quite a few from town went down to look over the battle ground. I can't give the details as they occurred, not having any notes, having to write entirely by memory.

The next that comes to mind was the southern soldiers or bushwackers, went into town at night and kidnapped General Brothelow and took him to their camp somewhere between New Franklin and Boonsborough and kept him three or four days, then took him home. Times got so scary that Father moved to town and left an old Negro woman and family in the Farm house. Another circumstance, the General sent for Father and wanted him to take a trip down to the Bushwackers camp. He tried to beg off as it was a dangerous trip. He told father "You are the only man that can make the trip safely". He made the trip in two days. He stayed all night at an old friends, left for home and went by Fayette. There were a good many men standing around the court house wondering who it could be coming. They all crowded around him to find out something of what was going on in the outside world.

Father moved into the Jim Forbes house which stood at the foot of Keys Hill at the end of the street that runs north in front of the City Hall and a few days before the battle the banks sent all the money on hand to St. Louis. Birchs' Bank left $400 in the till at the bank and left the keys with Father. The bank was in the brick on main street. The bank was on Howard Street running from Water Street up the hill east to the Catholic Church about half way between Water and Main Street. About this time some boats came down the river loaded with soldiers on their way to Boonesville to meet Prices Army. I don't remember whether there were two or more. When they got there they found out they were too late so they stopped there and went to work to dig trenches on the hill east of Toddy Herefords south of the Catholic Church. Prices Army came in there early one morning. There was a hot battle until about noon when Glasgow surrendered.

After noon mother went across to John Bibbs to see Aunt Lizzie Bibb, who was sick. At the time they were living near to where the Chicago Alton Depot now stands. When Prices Army got there they carried Aunt Lizzie down into the basement as she was exposed too much right between the Armies. They found a bullet in her feather bed.

It was that night or the next that some men went in the bank and battered in the door to the vault so it could't be opened. They found out some way that Father had the keys so they came up and took him down. When he got there and saw what had been done he said here is the key, unlock it if you can. He wanted to go home and they let him.

After the war was over and everyone was returning home, there was a Provost-Marshal appointed to swear in everyone coming in, so they would settle down to keep the peace. One day old man Morrison, who lived out east of Pleasant Green, came to town and saw father. They went to the Marshals office and arranged for Cliff Holtzelan to come in and surrender. The next morn Father went to Chobridge and met him, took him up to the office then helped him out of town without any one knowing it.

This is about all I know. I was a boy at the time. I was born in 53. The war was over in 65.

Thank you
Arthur Woods
Starbuck Wash."

Taken from the Glasgow Missourian, Thursday, June 30, 1932. This article was hand copied by Richard Alexander Woods, nephew of Arthur Woods.

[12 April 1861 - outbreak of U.S. Civil War]
[U.S. Civil War ends 26 May 1865 (surrender of last Confederate army at Shreveport, Lousiana]